(03) 9484 3434
Why a latex mattress is a natural choice!
Latex or natural latex is rubber produced from sap extracted from trees. The most common commercial source of latex comes from the Pará rubber tree (Hevea brasiliensis), a member of the spurge family, Euphorbiaceae. Latex has many properties that make it highly suitable for making mattresses.
Latex is natures perfect cushioning material. Its strength, durability and elasticity means a latex foam mattress will supporti your body evenly while yielding to the extra pressure from your hips and shoulders. It gives firm but gentle support to the contours of your body.
How it’s made
True natural latex, without synthetic latex or fillers blended in, is simply natural foam rubber. The milky white sap from the rubber tree is whipped up into a froth to introduce air and make it foamy. Various chemicals are added to help the curing and baking process. The latex mixture is then poured into a mould by machines and the foam is heated to a temperature of around 180 degrees Celsius.
The best latex foam is comprised of 95 – 97% latex. The remaining materials are the curing agents used to bake the sap into a solid piece of latex.
Latex benefits as a mattress material
There are a number of benefits in choosing a latex foam mattress, including:
- They are extremely comfortable. A foam mattress combines soft comfort with firm support. Most people who sleep on a latex mattress find that the mattress is very soft to the touch yet firms up as the body settles into the mattress.
- Latex is non-allergenic, mould free and dust free material. Dust mites are unable to survive in a natural rubber mattress. For people sensitive to dust mites choosing a natural latex mattress can often relieve allergies.
- Latex mattresses are also a good choice for those with back or joint pain. As well as being very supportive they can relieve pressure around the hips and shoulders. They will contour to a person’s sleeping posture while promoting natural spine alignment.
- Better quality of sleep due to no partner disturbance or roll together.
- Durable – Latex is denser than synthetics providing longer lasting orthopaedic support.
- Being made from materials extracted from renewable sources makes a latex form mattress environmentally friendly. There are no toxic chemicals in its manufacture and is produced from a carefully managed and renewable source.
So if you’re interested in a latex mattress and want to know more, please visit Beck’s Bedding.